August 30th 6:43 am
We survived the first night! First of all I would not recommend picking up your child the same day you fly into Addis. Nap or not. I spent a lot of the night sick from exhaustion. Thank goodness my sister is here. At times she let me sleep or at least lay down when Abraham was up during the night.
We flew into Addis around 9 am yesterday. After finding Abraham our driver at the airport and several other families we head to the guest house. Upon arrival I was not very impressed. We are staying at the Yebsabi Guest House. There was not power and no hot water. Well actually turns out there was hot water we just didn't wait long enough. So Amy and I showered and were debating whether we really should pick up Abraham up or not. Like I said woudln't recommend this to anyone but then again I don't regret it either because that boy made Amy and I laugh well into the wee hours of the night. He continues to sleep right now and I awake whcih is the only reason I am able to even think about writing.
We actually picked up Abraham very late in the day and were only at the orphanage for 10 minutes. We said good bye to a few nannies although we would be back and one woman(must be is primary nanny) ran to the car to give him kisses. Once Abraham was placed into my arms he did not seem like his usual self. There were a number of other adoptive parents and children and the little guy did not cry but just seemed a bit stunned regarding the day.
In the van he began coughing and I was actually very worried about this but it only happened a few times and then he fell asleep in my arms in the car. We dropped my sister and other families off at the grocery and Abraham and I went back to the guesthouse. The little man still wasn't himself and was very fussy and just stunned. That is the only way to describe it. Stunned.
I changed his diaper and clothes and after about 45 minutes Amy showed up with the baby food and diapers. From about this time little Abraham began opening up and relaxing. And from that point on he is his usual self. He still seemed a bit perplexed at times and I hope that is the reason for his every 2-3 hour waking in the middle of the night. But the guy knows me and Amy and if we leave the room now he has a fit. He watches our every move and prefers to be held. I think he is digging the fact that when he lets out a little holler I come running to his bedside.
Developmentally he has advanced greatly since our last visit. He crawls very quickly across the floor and rolls all around. His crawl is hilarious and I have to watch him like a hawk because if something looks interesting, he for sure is going to go for it. Anyways the cutest thing was during one of his middle of the night wake up calls. Amy and I are in the bedroom with him on the bed with us and he is just smiling looking to each of us and giggling so hard. Not so sure what he found amusing at 3 am but it was worth the wake up call.
We didn't really get instruction on how much he eats or what really so we are just feeding him what we think he can eat. Like rice cereal and formula. The guy gets so excited when he sees me making his bottle. He will crawl to where I am and watch me and if I don't make it fast enough he starts to get a little impatient. He loves to eat and boy does his belly show that.
Well he should be awakeing soon I think so I better run. The internet seems to be working here but I am sure it is hit or miss. Oh we will pick up Mimi on Monday! I need one more night of just one before we go completely insane! And let me tell you insanity it will be. But no matter how tired I was I don't think I have ever felt so blessed or so happy in my entire life.
No comments:
Post a Comment