Thursday, May 21, 2009

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I didn't know what to call this post. I have been meaning to write since Monday, but after working about 70 hours in 6 days I couldn't get up the energy. Monday was a big day for our adoption agency. You all know if you have been following that a large group from our agency had been caught in this court date mess for 6 months now. It had something to do with an orphanage license. Well it took about 3 months to figure this problem out then another 3 months to change all the children to another orphanage license. Court dates were given. End of story right?

Think again. Monday was the first round of court dates for all us of. NO ONE PASSED. I found out through others, this is because the judge wanted additional paperwork from the orphanage. So it seems there was no problem with the individual children but with the orphanage the children were at. Well not a problem necessarily but something was missing. Well guess what? Our baby girl is at this same orphanage. I have had one brief conversation via email with my coordinator who says the team in Ethiopia are working on getting whatever piece of paper the courts are requesting. They are optimistic but I have been in this far to long to trust that. They have about 11 more days until our court date to do that. 12 days I don't know I stopped counting. As far as I know this task has not been completed. If it had been I would imagine we would be informed of this. We are not expecting to pass court June 2nd because of this. It is highly unlikely they will get the paperwork this quickly. I heard those poor families who did not pass on May 18th were rescheduled for June 1st. There is also a family with a court date of May 27th. We will know more on those days, but I really am expecting no one to pass on their first court date. Not totally unusual in Ethiopians adoptions, but annoying none the less.

I apologize for spreading more bad news. But those are the facts. I have never like painting a nicer picture than reality so that is it. Some people call it pessimism. It's just reality. I imagine one day we will be spreading good news. Maybe. Until then we just have to hope that it all will work out in the end. We will continue forward because we have to. Because there is a little girl there without a mommy and daddy. And if this doesn't work out, David and I are coming to the realization that we may not have a house full of children. And that is okay. I have made my peace with that :) And as I told my sister in law tonight, I have already started picking out cats at the pound and plan to become the "crazy cat lady." I plan to have 26 cats and name them each with a different letter of the alphabet. There is 26 letters in the alphabet right? My first cat will be name Xavier. I should have started with the letter "A" but I will name the cats as I wish and I wouldn't mess with the crazy cat lady.

Keep in mind though, this adoption should happen. Chances are more than 99% it will. Its all a matter of when. Some families have had several court dates I think #7 is the most I have heard of. Crazy, but we will hang in there because we have to. I realize this post may sound depressing to some. David and I really are okay. We embrace each day and are so thankful for what the both of us have. I never thought I would be so happy with another person and I will never have a meaningless life with him by my side, even if it is full of catnip and no children. So please don't feel badly for us, we will be OKAY :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too often joked that I would end up with a pet instead! My puppy was going to have the best nursery EVER! Hang in there. It WILL happen! When I was waiting to pass court, and I think I had at least seven court dates, I was having some serious doubts. It will work out!