Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Goodnight

It is bedtime.  I am currently blogging in my children's room with a blanket over my head, computer of course in hand.  The dog, heaven forbid he sit out in the living room alone, is at my feet.  Actually my feet are resting gently on top of him.  It would be like any other night except for one thing.  My son just said "Mama" for the first time right now.  And he knows it.  He keeps repeating it over and over again.  He knows it sounds different and he knows he "got it" and is proud as proud can be.

For the first 18 months he just flat out didn't say it and for the last month or so its been "Baba" or more likely than not "Dada".  So I crawl out of my blanket and congratulate his accomplishment in saying my name.  I rub his back once again telling him it's night time and "SHHHH" all the while so happy I heard what I just did.   So of course he ignores my kind request to "shhhh" and he starts shouting loud loud loud.  I "SHHH" him again.  The husband says this works.  Yeah whatever.  Makes no difference really he carries on and on. "MILO!"  "MAMA!" "MILO!" "PUTER!"  He saw my computer!  Darn it.  He's on to me.  He probably wants to watch wiggles now.  So goes a normal night in crazy land.  Mimi of course is either peacefully asleep or is just plain out ignoring the shouts and hollers from the brother right next to her.  How she does either is beyond me.

Sometimes during bedtime routine I sneak out of my blanket and out of their room too early before she is asleep.  She doesn't go for it.  He doesn't like that either, but only whines for about 20 seconds and then carries on with his shout outs and hollers and eventually would go to sleep.  She wouldn't.  She would cry herself to sleep. So because I don't have the heart for crying it out, not yet anyways, I stay. Here, under my blanket, popping my head out every few minutes to shhhh the boy who just called me "Mama".  I don't think I have ever felt such joy to hear one little word over and over and over again.

Goodnight sweet boy.  You bring such joy to my life.

Now go to sleep!

Yes he is still awake giving me shout outs and the dog too.

He loves this.  I swear.  It doesn't look that way but he does


3 comments:

Jenny said...

Helina just discovered that sweet word too. Oh how you just feel like you belong to your child when s/he calls you mama.

And a warning: a few days after she first discovered the word, we had an evening where Helina just wouldn't stop. It was funny and torture at the same time. She then called me mama, Mario was mama, Davide was mama, etc. I think she was just so proud that she could finally say it.

I love that he is loving on you and calling you his mom. That rocks!
Jenny

Calmil2 said...

Oh, I loved this post...so sweet!! Can't wait to here "Mama" out of my baby girl's mouth ;)

Jennifer said...

he is so precious.....he has "mama" down now! Love that he is SO all boy. Nice contrast between your two little ones. We had so much fun with you guys on Sat. Next time Fairyland?