Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Ungrateful Daughter and Transracial Parenting

David and I had the opportunity to escape for a night to San Francisco(without children) last weekend to see Lisa Marie Rollins. If you have a transracial child, you should most definately get to know her.  She is a transracial adoptee herself from the 1970's. She is also an activist for adoption reform and an academic scholar on the subject. She is also the founder and executive director of http://afaad.wordpress.com/.   I would also say she is a darn good performer as well. She is brilliant and funny.


But more than anything her words are the truth of so many transracial adoptees.  We all need to open up our eyes and our hearts.  And listen.  Even if we don't always like what we hear.  To be perfectly honesty in the beginning it was sometimes shocking to hear.  But we need to listen.  I need to listen.

For that silly beautiful boy who thinks its hysterical to head dive off of couches.


And for the gentle and kind little girl who I sometimes think has the soul of a 90 year old lady.   




Like I said we went to see her performance called "Ungrateful Daughter".  It  is a "comedic, but intense critical look at one black girls experience of being adopted by a white family in the 1970's."

Check it out. She has a few more performances this weekend.

http://birthproject.wordpress.com/ungrateful-daughter/

And since we are on the topic of transracial adoption/parenting/adoptees bravo to my hubby who read this entire thing  http://johnraible.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/cultural-resource-manual-1.pdf
in like 2 days.  Well at least he says he did :)  It is so great to have a partner that realizes there is more to transracial parenting than we originally thought. We will continue to learn together.

Okay that's just about enough links and serious discussion for the night.

3 comments:

Jillienne said...

I am off to read your links but I just wanted to say your description of your kids reminds me EXACTLY of my 2. I don't think I could have said it any better myself. And for some reason made me a little bit teary. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Both you and David have taken on a task that would be beyond the efforts of most people. It goes beyond corn rowing hair and all that stuff. It has to do with people who have to see that there is always a difference. I have always felt that any difference is pretty surface level. I came from the generation guided by "Black Like Me" and Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy. Each of these made it clear in their own way that we are all made in God's image and likeness. All that Mimi and Abe need to know is that they are loved by family and I know that is happening. We are all looking forward to coming down in August to let them know they are loved by four more folks from Oregon. God bless.

Jennifer said...

Lisa, did you see group blog that is working through Raible's crash course together?
http://traparenting.wordpress.com/
Email to get the password.

I love your description of Mimi.