Last February so 2009 we began our second adoption. We began the process thinking the second adoption would take at least 18-24 months and our second child would be home about a year or so after our first. It took 8 1/2 months from decision to when we picked up the little guy. I had a blog on the down low about our second adoption so every Friday or so will be a flashback to that blog so Abraham's old blog can somehow be entwined into this blog.
Here We Go Again
"I can't believe we are starting over again! If you are all reading this then you know we are in the process of adopting our baby girl from Ethiopia. We received her referral late October of 2008 and here we are in February and waiting for a court date still. Because we are hitting a lot of bumps in the road in our adoption to our daughter we decided after several months of consideration to begin the adoption journey once again to bring home another child.
We were pretty sure we would have more than one child. I realize most people wait until they have their first child home to decide if they are ready for number 2, but hey we have never really done a lot of things the conventional way. And David and I are well aware of the fact that we will probably be confined to our house for the next 2-3 years. This is our choice, this is how we want to begin and grow our family, and that is what we are doing. After this one, I imagine we will be done for a few years! I mean we were open to twin initially so how different is this really? You wouldn't believe the number of opinions I have gotten about that question.
So what are we doing? First of all we have decided to choose another adoption agency. I loved the coordinator of our adoption agency but unfortunately there were other factors that made us decide that another agency would be better for us. We have chosen an agency out of Atlanta, Georgia. It is a newer agency which means there are a lot of unknowns, just like with baby girls adoption. But we are open to this taking a bit longer....or not...whatever happens with this one we will be happy with. It is possible this child could be home before baby girl, which is just insane since we have always thought of baby girl as our first child.
We have taken baby girls age into consideration when providing children that we would be open to. Our two choices include: 1. a boy or girl(which means a boy b/c there is always more need for boys!!!) 0-12 months and 2. A girl 24-48 months!!! I am excited about either one of these possibilities. Our adoption agency believes that an infant boy will be much more likely than a toddler girl, but we will see. I have always wanted to adopt an older child. By older I mean age 2-5. I realize in the adoption community this is not "older" but when you have no children like us...well.... it is older!!! Plus I had to work on David just a little bit for him to go for the "2-4 year old" range. Although I think we both really believe in our hearts we will end up with a tiny baby boy. A boy!!!
We are excited to begin this journey again. It gives us some hope that one of our children will be home before Christmas this year. This is a Christmas both of us have be dreading since hitting these bumps in our journey to baby girl and realizing this is taking entirely too long. We just could not do Christmas with David's family without a child home with us. It would be too painful....We love our nieces and nephews but it is hard to see what we thought we would have by now. So we will hope and pray that we won't have to explain to everyone why we will not be present for the holidays. I am hopeful that if we do need to explain everyone will understand.
No comments:
Post a Comment