Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hair day...and a boy

Today was official hair day. But really I kept Mimi up late last night(mistake by the way) doing her hair and just doing a little bit of re-parting today. I'm not sure exactly what I did but I think they are called twists. Instead of braids(3 strands) I just twisted 2 strands and made the sections smaller than what she has had before. I also went crazy at snapoholics.com and bought about $30 worth of beads and barrettes for her hair. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will figure out how to put those colorful beads at the end of her braids.

When I started on this adoption journey I never once thought about my daughter's hair. I really had no idea that it was much different than mine. Stupid I know. After we passed court I read maybe one or two things about African hair. And wow I wish I had read much more. That and parenting books. And adoption attachment books. And discipline books. But I am learning now slowly and surely and doing everything in my power to make sure I know how to care for my baby girls hair. It is our special time. She loves to be adored and get her hair done. She is told how beautiful her hair is and how beautiful she is over and over again. And so far she just isn't sick of hearing it. Which is good because I have no back ups.





And just for amusement my baby boy. The nuttiest kid of all time. Love this boy.



I try to do twists in his hair too while I feed him is bottle at night. But my hand usually gets promptly swatted away. Yeah we are back on the bottles at night with him. I just felt too bad about stealing them away so quickly from him trying to cure his frequent ear infections. I just wanted to baby him a bit more since I am thinking he will be my last baby baby. Oh and really the main reason. We have gained about 2 hours of sleep a night because of it. Well not really the main reason but a nice bonus. Better get to bed because my little man will be up in a few to cuddle and sip on his milk.

And just to end this is what happens when you leave a boy to raising the baby dolls of the house. Oh Mimi would be so ticked if she even knew this was happening to her sweet baby Joy.



We just took this stroller out of the closet and let the children enjoy it even though it was a Christmas present. Thanks Grandma Sue. It has been a big hit for both of the children. Even though it is technically Mimi's we present all the toys as if they belong to both of them. It works for now. That is why Abraham is pushing his school bus around in it. Only a boy would think to do that.

3 comments:

Amy Jo said...

Hi Lisa! I just logged onto your blog and my new son, Mesfin, saw your daughter and yelled, "OH! Mimi!!!" :-) Wishing you lived closer as he thinks America is small and wants to reconnect with all of his friends. :-) Sweet blessings, Amy in OR

Jennifer said...

Love the twists! Here's a good video on YouTube for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYYyClfLeHg
She has A LOT of very helpful videos.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa!

It's Lauren from the Illien board, Megan sent me. I love your blog!

Your kids are so beautiful and happy! I love Mimi's bantu knots. And her hairs is sooo shiny, what products are you using?