Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Today...and yesterday

The other day was Sunday. I had actually switched a day with someone and ended up working on my weekend off. I was in triage and began talking with the unit assistant for the 8 hours I was there. I had never talked to her before. She normally worked day shift. I work evenings. We talked. She has also adopted 2 children. There is more. She has lived through the grief of losing two of her children at 7 months and 9 months. It makes you re-think. Everything.

So yesterday and today I held my babies tighter and we laughed and had more fun than normal. We played in the water. Again and again. They stripped off their clothes. And diaper and went wild. I let them finger paint with Jello chocolate pudding. They would finger paint. Then eat a little. Then feed the dog a little. Then laugh. We dragged their high chairs outside and ate in the sun. It all seemed a little easier just living in the moment. Loving each minute. Like it could be the last. Sounds like a country song I know.

I plan to remember this woman. And her babies. And remember that all we have is today. I hope I never have to live through what she has. But because of what she has lived through she has reminded me, a new and sometimes stressed out mother, of what I have. And that it is wonderful and irreplaceable. Thank you friend.





1 comment:

Calmil2 said...

Oh, look at that hug...they are so cute and her hair looks great!!