Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Do you know about (RED)?

I have been meaning to write about the RED campaign for a while now. I knew nothing about it until after deciding we would adopt from Ethiopia. Since that time I have spent hours and hours on the internet learning as much as I can about Africa. It has made me open my eyes to a world outside my front door and for this I am forever grateful. If you are not sure about what the RED campaign is check out this short clip




Late in 2008 Starbucks decided to join campaign (RED). Now I will be the first to admit I use to hate the idea of starbucks. I couldn't walk in any city more than a few blocks without bumping into one of them. It annoyed me that they were dominating the coffee shop market. I even use to walk an extra block or two in San Francisco to avoid it like the plague, instead supporting other local coffee shops. I am still for the local coffee shops, but since learning of their partnership with RED, I now heart starbucks! It is my coffee shop of choice. Here is what I do and what you can do to if you drink coffee. Buy the (RED) starbucks gift card and use it for all your purchases. Starbucks will give 5 cents every time you use it in their store. It costs nothing to you and has the potential to change the lives of others around the world.







In starting our adoption journey we knew we wanted to parent a child who needed a mommy and daddy. But in the last year, it is now about so much more. We will not just bring our daughter home and forget about the circumstances in her country that led her to being placed for adoption. My family now has the responsibility to make sure we help Africa(specifically Ethiopia) as much as possible. We will do this for the rest of our lives in hopes that one day there will be no orphans statistics in the beautiful country our daughter was born.

No comments: