Monday, February 2, 2009

Ethiopian Food- Take Two

So when our daughter is home we plan on eating Ethiopian food once a week. You know, it will be like spagetti was growing up. Or meatloaf. One of those meals that no matter what you always have once a week. The only two problems? One....it looks like a tornado struck the kitchen afterwards and two.....I cannot make injera that is remotely edible. Although Milo did eat a bite and that is one picky dog! Oh I came up with a three.... Our house smells like curry for a week and we have to burn loads of incense to kill the smell. Does anyone out there make injera? And if so, what is the secret? I even prepared it a day in advance and added yeast and let in ferment over night! I don't think I have ever planned a meal that far in advance before. Well the injera was horrible but the food good. I cooked the vegetable aleecha again. I decided to try out a shiro recipe and thanks to www.ethiopianspices.com where you can buy the shiro powder it was wonderful. We used tortillas as fake injera this time, and actually it was not too bad.

The rest of the evening we spent in our art studio(our living room) painting wall hangings for baby girl's room. I thought this would be a lot more original and creative than buying the beautiful wall hangings at pottery barn. I had planned on doing this project solo, but was psyched that David wanted in too. So we turned on CBS-Monday and painted for several hours. I finished my masterpiece(I started it this afternoon while David was at work) and David is well into his piece. You can check his out below. I plan to paint one more but unfortunately go back to work tomorrow for my one week stretch so won't get to that until my next week off. Boo hoo...back to work.

The first try at injera :(


The best looking injera of the night! (still not edible)


The Meal (tortilla and all)


Really should not have been painting on the couch


Check out baby girl's quilt in the background


Business as usual for Milo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't be so hard on yourself about the injera. I have heard that it is hard even for Ethiopians to learn how to do it and many cannot! Is there an Ethiopian restaurant near by? You can always just pick the injera up there.