Saturday, January 24, 2009

Shopping and the zip-lock baggy

The good news from late last week...The director of awop will be traveling to Ethiopia in less than a couple weeks. Hopefully we will receive updated photos and maybe a video of baby girl. The even better news is that she will be taking a care package for each child from their family. Yes, that would be us. Anything we can fit in a gallon size zip lock bag she will bring for baby girl. Okay one might think we of course could have just sent a package to baby girl fed ex, like months ago, but very impossible due to her being about 5 hours outside of Addis.

I had Friday off and figured babies r us was as good a place as any. I wasn't sure what to buy so I wandered the aisles over and over again. As I wandered I looked around at parent's with their large shopping carts, multiple items in tow, none which could all fit into a ziplock baggy. I studied these parents up and down and realized I was probably alone in my quest to fill up this zip lock baggy to send thousand of miles, across oceans and continents to our girl. I knew I would spend all day in that store to find the perfect items for that 1 gallon zip-lock baggy!

Well luckily I didn't have to spend all day at babies r us(there are some crazy kids running around there and the monster mash song kept playing over and over and over). It is still kind of in my head which I am not to happy about. Anyway, I was only there for over an hour and finally decided on the softest teddy bear blanket snuggly. I also bought a toy that plays soft lullaby music with our photo inserted in the appropriate place. Dont worry, you will see a picture of all these things below! This is what happens when you don't have children I guess. You start taking pictures of very strange things that are even remotely related to your child. We were told to send a picture book of us, but I figured she would enjoy the lullaby toy more, and plus it does have our picture so it counts in my book. And lastly I bought a cloth book about a chick and her friends??? Not sure why except it wasn't heavy and had nice bright colors. I probably could have shoved more into the ziplock bag, but didn't want to overdue it, since this woman is being so kind to bring this to baby girl in the first place. My guess is these things will get lost in the chaos of the orphanage anyways at some point, but that is okay, because she will be the first to have them. I also enclosed a short note to baby girl telling her that we loved her and we would be coming for her soon. Let's hope anyway. Sure she won't understand a word of it. Why? Well because she is 8 months old and because she doesn't hear much english. But that's okay. I'd like to think she understands anyways.



4 comments:

Jillienne said...

I think that you did a good job! And it is so nice to know that your little girl is going to get something from her mommy!

Plus any excuse to shop, right?

Diane Larson said...

It is so worth the wait, try not to get frustrated. We were "supposed" to get a court date for before the courts closed in August, we didn't. Then our first date got moved. We accepted our referral and picked her up Thanksgiving week. Now I can hardly remember the wait! I promise. You will love CHI in Ethiopia, they will make it an amazing trip. Like it wouldn't be anyway! You may be suprised that you don't miss as much as you thought. Our daughter is 19 months now and home 2 months. Because of malnutrition she is about the size of a year old and does not yet have the leg strength to stand and walk on her own. I would not ever wish for that but it has been fun to experience this part of her growth with her. This is way long, and you don't even know me. Check out our blog at www.larsonquest.blogspot.com. She'll be home before you know it!!

Diane Larson said...

OOPs. Upon rereading my comment, I left out...we accepted her referral in March.
Diane

Melissa said...

We bought the same little toy with the picture pouch for Ezra(Chala)!
I know you can't wait to pass court and finally bring her home!