Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ethiopian food and the worst injera in all the land!

So last night David and I decided we needed to get going on learning how to cook Ethiopian food. Why you ask? Well we learned a lot when we began this adoption journey and one of the most important things we learned is to embrace our daughters culture. We knew very little when we began our Ethiopian adoption journey about Ethiopia. Since that time we have learned about all the ethiopian holidays, customs, and I am even making at attempt at learning the language. We will become a multicultural family. There are other terms for this but I like "multicultural" the best. It would not be okay to bring her into our home and never mention her culture or where she came from. The funny thing about the whole language thing is after I bought the kind of pricey "how to learn amharic" CD's and study books, I learned our girl is from a region in Ethiopia that does not even speak amharic!!! Oh well! I still have the hopes that she will learn some amharic growing up.

Okay back to the food. I had ordered all of the spices from www.ethiopianspices.com. First I have to say that I don't enjoy cooking in general. Well at all really. I am happy in ways I work because I would probably be a lousy housewife. So David helped too which was a lot of fun. We cooked Aleecha which is a curry vegetable stew. We also cooked one of the most popular dishes in Ethiopia Doro Wat which is a red chicken stew with a ton of spices! Both were edible and even kind of good. The injera which is the spongy sour bread served with meals was AWFUL!!! Now I heard injera was difficult to make but seriously, totally inedible. David tried to eat some of it but it was more like a doughy pancake and I think he only ate a bite or two. So we are going to have to work on that. But all in all not too bad for the first try.




1 comment:

Jillienne said...

Hi I just found your blog! Congrats on your Ethiopian food making experience! I can't stand the stuff. Don't tell though please.
I hope that you hear something soon!