Monday, October 31, 2011

Preschool

Today was the kids first day of preschool.  I'm not even sure what to say about it.  The drop off seemed to go well.  Mimi was fine with waving goodbye to me.  Abraham was a bit clingy when I said goodbye but he became distracted and I left.  I was there for about 5 minutes listening and didn't hear anything so I was happy.

Fast forward to the afternoon.  Around 3 pm I started to get a weird feeling as I returned home from my walk with the dog.   I don't know why I just felt like they needed me then.  I waited though and went to pick up the kids at around 4 pm.  They were outside and both were crying, although Mimi denies this.  So Abraham sees me and his soft crying turned into hysterical sobs.  Yikes.  I felt awful.  Not awful enough to quit though, because I'm not gonna lie, I loved the alone time and the ability to get things done.

I talked to a couple different teachers.  One was this lovely woman who told me how their day went.  She thought they did pretty good.  She said he was upset in the morning so they brought him to Mimi's class but that only seemed to cause Mimi to cry and get upset.  Lovely.  But she claims both kids seemed to enjoy doing the activities and Mimi will claim her favorite part was painting.  We had a discussion about preschool at the dinner table tonight.  All of these things came out of my girl's mouth in a matter of 5 minutes as I asked questions.

"I don't wanna go back to preschool.  I wanna stay home forever!"

"I cried because I missed my mommy"

"There are too many kids there.  I just wanna be home in Oakland"

"I just wanna play games in Oakland not at preschool"

"I just wanna stay home with you guys"

"Mommy I waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited for you to come"(Yes she really said "waited" this much)

Okay these were only the ones I jotted down too!  I am dreading preschool on Wednesday.  We have to stick with it though right?  I don't know who I'm asking but something tells me whether it is now or in a year or two they are going to have to get use to being away from me and in a setting with other children and teachers.  I guess I kept them in the nest too long.  I'm thinking a half day preschool might be better but there just are not open programs now and with my schedule it doesn't help.  So wish us luck for Wednesday!  Because they are going back.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I think they had a typical first day of preschool. I also think the gradual immersion idea is a good one, if you can manage it.

I really feel that if you trust your instincts, you'll get this right. You know your kids, and they know and trust you. They just missed you a ton on their first day of school. It WILL get better, and they'll have a great time.

I have a feeling we (adoptive moms) tend to be more sensitive to issues of separation from our children than your average mom. But I really feel our kids deserve that extra sensitivity.

This is a hard transition for any parent, and I am feeling your pain as I remember Helina's start of day care. It DOES get better and the kids will reach a point when your drop them off with a hug and a kiss and they run happily away to join their friends. That day is a great relief.

Hang in there!
Jenny