Friday, August 19, 2011

A Day in the Life

I am starting to write this right around nap time which means I may just miss my afternoon nap today.  Since I began watching the kids full time I have yet to miss my nap.  I always have good intentions to stay awake and be productive but by 1-2 pm I am spent and need my daily nap!

Our days are filled with a lot of joy.  And lately lots of frustrations.  But more joy.   Tuesday and Wednesday were rough this week and I fantasized about putting the boy in day care.  He was defiant, aggressive, and disrespectful.  We had to crackdown on his behavior.  There were certain behaviors like shouting "NO!" to me or even worse saying "SHUSH MOMMY!" that I deemed unacceptable.  He is learning(I think but really you never can tell) that those are not acceptable ways to talk to me or anyone.  And the last two days have been more joy than frustration.  Yeah!

So our day today went something like this as it normally does.

6:59 am: I hear shouting from the kids room.  "MOMMY!  MOMMY!" Abraham wakes up and shouts this for 20-30 minutes until I decided he probably isn't going to go back to sleep.  Mimi just lays quietly in her bed with a pillow over her head and reports upon my entering that Bubba once again woke her up.

7:04 am:  Abraham marched to time out for shouting "SHUSH MOMMY!" at me.  I guess he forgot the rules over night.

7:18 am:  Abraham back to time out for shouting NO! at me

7:19 am:  Abraham is pissed

7:45 am: Breakfast served.  Abraham scarfs down a cereal bar.  Mimi stares at her bowl of cereal and chokes down a few bites before declaring she is all done.

8:00 am:  Brush teeth and mouthwash rinse.  Abraham runs out to living room and dribbles mouthwash across just cleaned living room floor.  Great.

8:30 am:  Manage to get the kids and dog downstairs to the stroller for MY morning walk.

8:45 am:  Threaten the children if they don't keep their hands to themselves and sit their little butts down properly in the stroller we will NOT be going to fairyland today.

9:00 am:  At the lake.  Get kids out of stroller to walk a bit.

9:03 am:  "I'm tired!"  "I'm really sleepy mommy!" "I don't wanna walk!" GRRRR.  I run ahead of them knowing they have no choice but to follow me.

9:10 am: Dumb ass says as we run by "Them be adopted kids!"  No shit sherlock.  Learn to talk.

9:30 am: Arrive home.  Manage to get stroller into the garage and dog and kids up the 45 stairs to the house without incident.

9:31 am:  Turn on PBS.  I get stuff ready for fairyland and change into more appropriate clothing(not sweatpants)

10:30 am: Arrive at fairyland. Give the children a talk about how the stroller will primary be used to hold Mommy's backpack and snacks and will not be used for lazy toddlers who wish to be pushed all around instead of walking.  Also mentioned it will be used for a time out place if we do any of the following. 1. hit 2. kick 3. have tantrums 4. shout NO! or SHUSH MOMMY!.
"Okay Mommy!" they both shout in unison.

11:30 am:  Abraham has meltdown b/c Mimi was tall enough to ride on the merry go round and he was not.  I hold my crying boy.  Okay this meltdown makes sense.

11:36 am: Secretly digging the purchase of my new double stroller.  The city mini double.  Yes the stroller obsession continues.

12:30 pm- Home from fairyland.  Dog is busted.  He was on the couch when we were gone.  He runs all around like crazy.  The kids knock on the apt next door to play with Mina their 3 year old friend.  There is some chaos.  Screaming children. Crazy dog.  The kids come to our place to play.  I start lunch for all of us.  I think I check email.  I call Amy while making lunch.

1:15 pm- knock on door.  I assume it's Mina's mom.  I run to the door tripping over toys as 3 toddlers just stare at the door ignoring my initial request to open the door.  Outside is the upstairs neighbor asking me if I want my dog back? WTF?  Where is my dog?  Outside she says.  Crap.  I didn't know he got out in the chaos.  I guess he was just waiting at the front door of the building.  She peeks inside to see the chaos of 3 toddlers and quickly runs away to resume her quiet single life.  What you don't want to come in and have a nice neighborly talk?

1:30 pm: Eat lunch. Everyone eats good. We run out of chicken nuggets so my children(MINE not the polite neighbor girl) decided they must dip their organic fuji apple in bbq sauce and ketchup.  Lovely.  Just lovely.  But hey they ate their apples.

2:00 pm: Finish lunch. Yes it takes that long!

Then the next 20 minutes went something like this.....

Me:  Mimi get your underwear on!
Mina: Bubba hit me!
Bubba: Mina took my phone!
Me: Mina?
Bubba: I don't wanna share!
Me:  Mimi get your underwear on!
Mimi: I don't wanna wear underwear!
Me:  Mimi go find your underwear!
Mina : "He said SHUSH to me" (after witnessing the house rules and seeing how he goes to time out for this)
Me:  Thank you Mina.  Abraham stop throwing things at Mina.
Me:  Mimi get your underwear on!
Mimi: Where's my UNDERWEAR? I can't find it!
Me:  How the H**L should I know?(I didn't say this).  Instead I say "check the bathroom you know where you left them."
Mimi: I found em! I need help!
Me:  No you don't
Mimi:  YES!
Me: Fine come here
Bubba:  My choo choo.  She took my CHOO CHOO!
Mimi: Give him his choo choo back(Oh man this girl sticks up for her brother)
Me: We don't take choo choo's from our friends.  Please give it back.
Mina runs away with the choo choo.
Me:  Come on time to go home!
Bubba:  Mimi and Bubba going home?
Me:  You and Mimi are already at home.  You live here remember?
Bubba:  Oh yeah! Me forgot!
Bubba: WAHHHH! She took it again!  WAHHHH!
Me: Okay Mina is going home give her hugs and say thanks for playing
Bubba: NO!
Me:  It's nice to hug our friends
Bubba:  NO with his head hung
The girls hug(of course).  Abraham continues to refuse to hug her.  Fine.
I take Mina home. It is way past nap time.
30 seconds later.
Bubba : OH I really miss Mina!
Me:  Ha! Really?

We go to sleep from 2:30-4:30-5. Then not long after that Daddy's home! Woo hoo!

I could write down the evening but I will just summarize it with this.  Take out, movies, and absolute joy.  Staying home with my children is the hardest thing I have ever done.  But the rewards are plenty.  It is absolutely wonderful.  I recommend it to all.









4 comments:

Amy said...

Hilarious!! Since when does Abraham make silly faces when taking photos? Pretty funny.

Mom said...

Oh brings back memories. 3 under the age of four. Mimi and Abe are always so good at my house. What's up with that.You are a great mom! These days will soon be a memory. So happy you can share them. See you Tursday morning so you can go back to your esy job
Mom

Mark and Megan said...

Wow, I am sure you are tired. I had to chuckle because this sounds so familiar. So worth it but so exhausting. And makes you really appreciate the joyful moments!

Paula said...

I miss them so much. They are still the most beautiful children I have ever seen. Please give them a hug for me.