Wednesday, December 3, 2008

492- Count down with me!

Okay this post doesn't have a lot to do with the adoption but will be significant to Naya when she comes home.  What is this number you ask?  492 is the number of hours I need to work so I can take part in the Family Medical Leave Act(FMLA).  I am currently working per diem(obviously as an RN) which means I only have to work 4 days a month.  In reality my job doesn't even need to schedule me for 4 days/month which means it is possible I don't get work. I say this and honestly its never been a problem but with the economy and loss of jobs, there are no guarantees.  So I recently applied and got a position for a 24 hour benefited position here in Modesto.  It really is an ideal position for someone like me who wants to work but still spend a good amount of time with her daughter.  I will work in the evenings from 3pm-11:30 so I will get to spend most of the day with Naya even on the days I have to work.  That is if I wake up before noon which I am not doing these days!  David will be here about half of the time I work in Modesto and my parents will watch her the days David and I are apart which turns out to be about  6-8 days a month and with all his vacations even less than that.  This of course is temporary until we figure out something better but for now it will have to do.  She will get to know both houses very well and the best part is she will be close to my mom and dad.  I always wanted my grandparents closer than they were!  

So back to the FMLA part of things.  Legally my employer does not have to allow me to take leave unless I have worked 1250 hours the last 1 year.  That is where 492 comes in.  If I get to work 492 hours before we pick up the baby I will legally be entitled to 3 months off with her, no work or anything...If I don't work the 492 hours, then there are no guarantees that I can even get a week off to go pick her up.  Although as my aunt said to me "what kind of person wouldn't grant you unpaid leave to adopt your baby?"  True...but you never know. Oh and thank you Aunt Moe for talking to me today and finding out answers as I was freaking out on the phone over this whole thing.

So at this point I have decided to accept the 24 hour position(Oops I think I already said that) and leave it up to fate or whatever you want to call it.  If we get Naya before I meet those hours, well we will deal with work at that time.  If it takes 3 1/2 months longer before we can pick her up, then I get the FMLA!  Either way I am convinced things are unfolding just as they should. This of course is my positive attitude, which lately is not the norm.  

Luckily no matter what happens I will be very close to 1250 hours and I have up to a year after she is in our home to take this leave.  So even if I can't take it the first weeks she is home, it will only be shortly after that we will have our time together.  Can't wait...



 

No comments: