Tuesday, November 25, 2008

No court date...Just a story

We have not heard anything about a court date.  It seems to be taking 5-6 weeks from acceptance of referral, although sometimes longer.  We hope to hear before Christmas.  So since I have no good news I will leave you with a story...

It was about 2 weeks ago...after we had accepted Naya's referral and thought of her as our child. David and I were sitting in the living room talking about packing things for Ethiopia.  What food to bring was the topic at that moment.  Food for the baby that is.  I didn't know if I should bring rice cereal or jar baby food.  I really didn't know what she was eating or if she will have already been introduced to these things before we even pick her up.  Oh just a side note. Reading the section in the baby book titled "how to introduce solid food to your baby" doesn't seem to apply when you are picking up a baby that you know is already eating solids and you don't know what she has or has not eaten! 

Back to my story....So David and I were chatting about what food she should eat and what to bring on the airplane for her...wow our conversations are changing already!  I was jabbering on about early solids to introduce and then mentioned something about peanut butter and how she shouldn't have that for a while in case of allergy.  Then this is what I said to David. "Although peanut allergies tend to run in families and we don't have a problem, so she should be fine."  Of course within twenty seconds David and I realized what I had said and we both laughed.  But I can say at the moment I said that, it didn't even cross my mind that she didn't share our genetic coding.  Maybe it should have. But it didn't.

Sometimes people ask if we will have "our own children." I don't always understand this question because we already have "our own."  Our Naya...Or at least we will when we pass court! Send good thoughts our way. We need it.  


No comments: