"No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow"
It was an absolutely beautiful day today. The weather report stated 64 as the high but it felt more like 75 degrees. A perfect day to start again.
Today was the best day I have had in about 3 months with the kids. The last many months have been quite difficult for a number of reasons. I won't go into too much detail but I will go into some. It has a little something to do with a completely defiant, control seeing, angel face boy. Three is a difficult age. I hear it all the time. Blah blah blah. I don't want to hear it from any of you parents raising biological children who were properly nurtured from birth. Yeah it's a hard age, but its an almost unbearable age with a child who has had a tough start in life. Abraham came from a hard place. He was neglected for the first 8 months of his life. In my research I learned this actually causes brain damage. I believe it. So he is working every day to try and figure it all out. Parenting him is very difficult(for me anyways). But there was so much joy today that I can only hope as the seasons change(in a couple months) there will be more sunshine than rain in this house.
So as I said, I spent the entire day with the kids(and Milo) at the park. We had a picnic and went for a little hike. I was calm. They were good. I was calm. They did annoying things at times like kids do. Like blow into the juice boxes so it overflows and makes a mess all over the picnic blanket. But I was calm. This seems to always be the key in having a good day with them. I'm not sure why I haven't caught on and followed the rule to "be calm" every moment of every day. Abraham does better with calm. I need to let more things go. I need to encourage him more. Love him more. Tell him how perfect he is more. Because I don't believe he thinks he is :(
But damn it's so hard to tell a kid how wonderful he is when he is shouting, spitting, hitting, or kicking you. But then as I tuck him in at night and he cuddles close to my heart I know he just wants what we all want. To be important and loved.






2 comments:
Ah, sweet Abraham IS important and loved and just because you aren't able to convey that to his naughty little self 24/7 doesn't mean he doesn't know that. He knows it because you show it to him. Not letting him walk all over you is an expression of love too - setting those boundaries is just as important as your cuddle time. Or, so I think....I guess I shouldn't really opine until my kiddo can talk back and spit at me! But I think you're doing great and he is a fabulous, fun little boy. When he is excited about something, I don't think I have seen a little kid with more joy in his heart. It's contagious.
First, envious of your weather. Second, what a fun looking picnic - straw blowing bubbles and all. (I am daily/hourly challenged to remain calm.) And lastly...I am seeing more and more how the first months of my little one's life has affected her. What a good thing that you acknowledge this in Abraham. Hang in there - "just keep swimming." Thanks for your encouragement...sending some right back your way.
Post a Comment